Wednesday, November 25, 2009

the dungeon

It is only 5:30 but it is already dark out
And with the darkness comes the cold
Seeping under doors and through the stone walls
Luckily it is dinner time
I can follow the crowd and join the dinner line
Stand and listen to the chatter and enjoy the light
unluckily I have to use the loo
and the nearest one is in the dungeon
Once home to criminals and victims
It is now home to the girls washroom
Timidly I peer down the spiral stairs into the darkness
Slowly I tiptoe down the steps
expecting movment at every bend
Finally I reach the bottom
cautiously my hand feels the wall
searching for the switch
I find it!
Light floods the room

It illuminates the corners
my silly fears are dispelled
I push open the door of a stall
It creaks in protest
Then I shut myself in
try to ignore the weight of the door
the strength of the door
the fact that these doors
were meant to be locked forever
I scrub my hands
willing the hand dryer
(that sounds like a jet engine)
to dry my hands faster
and pelt for the stairs
bounding up them
headed for ground level
Done!
This was just a small insight into the girl's washroom in the Castle.
It really is in a dungeon
and it really is reather frightening to go into it alone at night
During induction they told us that two girls once died in it
But I don't mind
I don't believe in ghost

4 comments: