Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Weekend Part 1

On Friday and Saturday (and part of Sunday) we had our annual Model United Nations conference.
This year was especially exciting because we had students from nearby schools come and participate in the conference.
Due to the fact that I had a lot of work to do for Monday (wait for part 2 to hear more about that), I didn’t plan on going to both days of the conference. Therefore I planned to be the ‘admin’ in one of the committees (this means that I would pass notes and communicate between the chair of the conference and the chairs of the committee etc.). However, my day did not go exactly as planned. I started out in the general assembly, but after one of the delegates was forcibly removed by some of the overzealous ‘security’, the chair of my committee requested that I go get him back. After finding him, I found out that the delegate of the United Kingdom for the Security Council hadn’t shown up and so they had taken our delegate to replace the missing one.
In the end I volunteered to become the delegate of the United Kingdom.
In the end, I had a fairly pleasant day. Unfortunately I hadn’t done any research and so I made up a lot of stuff, but as it turned out the topic was ‘cyber-terrorism’ and so lots of delegates had been unable to find their countries stance on the issue and were making it as they went too.
By the end of the day a few working papers had been written and were ready to be presented the next morning. However, just as we were about to leave, we were visited by the terrorists (who eluded capture by the security all weekend). They locked us in our room and refused to let us out until we passed a resolution meeting all of their demands. Although I thought it was funny, their demands were a bit on the impractical side instead of the amusing side (i.e. allow anyone to attend the Security council meetings, and for all governments to give up all of their government secrets), and so there wasn’t really any point in even pretending to write a resolution. In the end we sat around and told them that this was ridiculous while they sprayed us with water guns, and they eventually let us go to dinner.

Although I didn’t participate the second day (although I did attend a meeting with some of the terrorists and helped do a small amount of spying for them), I am glad that I was able to a little bit on the Friday.

Then on Saturday night we had a masquerade ball. I made a butterfly mask and borrowed some wings and danced the night away.

It was a great beginning of the weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment