Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Oxbridge

This weekend mark my half term and so we had a long weekend!! wooot!

My daddy just happened to be on the continent (he was invited to speak for a retirement event for the author/evangelist Micheal Green in oxford!!) and so I dorve out to oxbridge and London with him! It was a really wonderful weekend. I loved seeing my daddy again and seeing some more the UK. And my own shower, bed and real food were much appreciated!

Here is a short chronicle of my weekend:

This is one of the bridges from Wales to England. Yay for civil engineers :)

It's not every day that you see a house driving down the highway!


London (this is slightly out of order, I was actually in London on the Sunday and Monday) is already in christmas mode. Oxford/bond street are all decorated.

This is the church where the event in Oxford was. It was very nice. Everyone dressed 'smart' and the food was excellent. And it was very interesting meeting different people and learning more about Micheal green (the deco had a 'green' theme...har har) and all of the different things he has done (he is a seriously amazing person). One of the speakers shared a personal testiment to how Micheal changed his life, which was very touching. so basically it was a wonderful evening and a great tribute to a great man.

Here is my daddy speaking! gooooo daddy!

The next day we drove into oxford city center and then wander around. When we arrived we noticed that all of the students were dressed up in their formal gowns. We could not figure out why they looked like this because they did not seem to be all going the same place. They were everywhere! We later discovered (due to our superb detective skills) that they were having their year photos taken.

Here is one of the main streets in oxford. so beautiful!

This is a photo of the outside of the church where the Micheal Green Event was held.

We then went and alked around Christ's Church cathedral which was gorgeous

I love ivy!
Inside there were some stunning stained-glass windows. This one was fantastic but it confused me because it was a depiction of the crusades (we think... it was warriors anyhow). And why someone would decorate their church with this I have no idea.
The courtyard of the cathedral. check out the green grass!
I want to live here

The bodleian library. Unfortunately it was closed to visitors
Then we drove to Cambridge to visit the Wilson's (Ian is a chemical professor at Cambridge).
This is the windmill across the street from their house. soo cool!
Here are some photos of the Wilsons with my dad in cambridge. Beth is on my dad's sholders, and Claire is standing infront of her dad.
And again at home (with adam trying to escape the photo)

This was a very strange work of art where a giant bug crawled as the pendulum swang
there was a ten km race through cambridge while we were there to raise money for cancer research. Both Scooby-doo and batman participated!
One of the colleges (I should probably remember which one but the names are all muddled in my mind...)
the river. I wanted to go punting but we didn't have the time
Inside Trinity college (we were allowed in with Ian's campus id!)




Here was a very random whale skeleton is a back parking lot...

This is for Emily! It is Ali Baba!

Then my dad and I went and spent a day in London. We wanted to see a show but none of them were showing on Sunday so we went to Holy Trinity Brompton instead which was really nice. and then the next day we went to regent park! here is the amazing rose garden
Soo beautiful





This is for James!
and this one too (the book was in an exibit at the bodleian library)
and to finish it off I have a question for you: front or back of Lyn's head??
I love England!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures!
    I too LOVED Oxford, probably my favourite place we visited in England. Its so cool, eh?
    The picture you took of the lawn and little cottage (above the "I love ivy" caption). I have the exact same picture! At first I thought you took it off my Facebook! Haha!
    Glad to see you got to hang out with your dad!
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete