Saturday, August 14, 2010

A New Year

Here is a bit more of an update of the year so far and what I am expecting in the days and weeks to come.

We – the new second years – arrived on the tenth of August toting bags full of the necessities for another year at AC. We were greeted by lists of new rooms and new dorm mates.
This year I am in a room with three other second years: Helen (who was in my room last year. yay!), Nora from Norway and Sheila from Uganda. I am really happy about this dorm!!

We were also greeted by a lovely list of new rules, which include:
A‘lights out’ time at 11:30 (the quiet rooms are open until 12:30 to do work)
and
A ‘wake up’ time, which essentially means we are not allowed in our house between 8 and 9.
While, I am not too distressed about these new rules as I go to bed at a decent hour anyways, I am resentful of the fact that we are being treated like irresponsible children, instead adults who are capable of going to bed by themselves.
But nevertheless, life goes on.

There are many other changes around the school. Our schedule has changed, we have assistant house parents and the second year desks are no longer assigned to specific students.
However, what I am most interested in is the new mission-based program the administration is trying to formulate. They are trying to change the structure of the school to fulfill the mission more completely and more tangibly. At the moment it is mostly semi-formulated ideas and test runs. But I think the school is headed in a new, exciting and positive direction.

All week I have been in and out of meetings with EE supervisors, houseparents, and service leaders.
We had very little time to unpack and put away the multitude of boxes that we left behind in the spring (how I managed to accumulate so much stuff in one year I will never know), before we were thrown straight back into our work. EE deadlines were doled out, service session allocated and tutor talks planned.
I am lucky that my service doesn’t start until Monday and so I have the weekend to work on all the things I wasn’t able to do in the summer.
All next week my service will be going on day trips doing things such as: hiking, caving and kayaking. I am pretty excited!!

And between all of our work and commitments somehow we are trying to see all of our friends. Trying to explain the past two months of our life.
There never seems to be enough time.

Looming ever nearer on the horizon is another exciting event: the arrival of the first years!!!
In exactly one week buses and cars will drive into our school filled with eager faces and bags stuffed with clothing – the other half of the student body.
It is had to imagine a year without my second years. It is impossible to imagine what it will be like with 150 new people.
But nevertheless I can’t wait for them to come.
I can’t wait to meet them all.
I can’t wait to hear their stories, their interests, and their hopes.
I can’t wait for their enthusiasm to fill the school to bursting point.

Because the dorms are separated into first year and second year dorms this year, we have planned a buddy system. Each second year dorm will adopt a first year dorm that they will greet specially, and take care of. I can’t wait to meet mine!
Plus, there are two girls from BC coming to the school and there are two Canadians coming to my house.

After they arrive they are sent off to camp.
I was lucky enough to be chosen as ‘camp leader’. This means that I go up to one of the camps (camp 2) to cook, sing silly songs, play ridiculous games and make the first years dance on the tables. I can’t wait!

This coming week will be full to the brim with service, work and catching up.
And just when I think I am suitably busy, the school will swell with new students and my ‘busy’ will get busier.
I am so excited!

I am back!!

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck for the coming year Jessie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so glad you're back in the blog world! i always look forward to reading your posts. (on both blogs)
    have some fun this year!
    miss ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Jessica and the Whale!
    Can't wait to reda up on your adventures once again.

    ReplyDelete