Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Low tide

Yesterday was the lowest tide of the year, so I trekked down to the beach to see for myself:

The lucky lifeguards had a regular kayaking session, but today was even worse because they had to carry their boats all the way to the water's edge.
Here is Ola (Norway) from my house looking fabulous in his wetsuit, helmet and spray deckSome of the lovely girls who walked down with me. From the left Jess (Britain), lynn (Denmark), Hannah (USA) and Sarah (Isle of Man)
Some biology students were also checking out the beach in search of sea life with their teacher, James Mendelssohn
Hugo (Spain) from my house
Making its way back to the sea

The water makes beautiful designs in the sand

We found a fish! I forget what kind it is, but James was surprised to find it. I just thought it had some beautiful scales
Mr. Fishy!

James Mendelssohn
We also found some sea worm things (you can tell by my scientific terminology that I am a biology student...not)
And some crabs.
and (a little shout out to anyone from PPC), you can tell it is a male because of the lighthouse

We were pretty fond of our crab. We named him Archibald.
But he wasn't very fond of us....
A little crabby love
And Hugo again

2 comments:

  1. Jessie
    So glad you remember that vital teaching from PCC about male and female crabs!

    ReplyDelete